Paint removal is the process of removing paints from things such as doors, radiators, benches and fireplaces. Normally, the need to remove paints is to replace it with some newer or better brand; depending on the level of painting, the process of striping may be simple or complex.
However, despite the level of complexity, exposure of the body to these paints may occur thus posing a health risk.
What are Paint Remover Symptoms and Health Risks?
Paint removers are made with very strong chemical ingredients that make them have certain properties. The paint removal poisoning is possible to anyone during the stripping process, while the effects vary from one person to another. The ENT, digestive, urinary, skin, vascular and respiratory systems may be mildly or severely affected. Below are some health effects associated with the poisoning:
- Vomiting and feeling of nausea
- Collapsing or even getting into a comma
- Difficulties in urination
- Digestion problems associated with cramps in the stomach
- Disorders in the working of the heart where, victims experience irregular heartbeats
- Discolouration of fingers, lips and other exposed parts
- Throat associated problems such as breathing difficulties caused by an inflammation due to inhalation of the remover
- Experiences of Low blood pressure
- Burns in the throat, food pipe, ears, eyes nose and mouth which may also turn out painful
- You may also experience bloody stools or even a renal failure
How to Conduct Paint Remover Poisoning First Aid
Fortunately, early treatment can help to prevent adverse effects. Whether you are the victim or you are serving first aid to somebody else follows these instructions:
- The first step is to contact your local emergency help centre and ask them for immediate assistance.
- call the local centre for poison controls and ask for more instructions.
- It’s recommendable that you provide all relevant information such as the amount of remover taken, duration of inhalation and the time taken, you may also require giving details of your age, height and weight.
- With a lot of care, take the victim from the area of the accident to prevent further inhalation as well as allow them to have some fresh air.
- Next, you need to confirm that the person(s) is breathing and heartbeats are evident through the feel of the pulses.
- In case the incident occurred to the eyes, wash them with clean and non-contaminated water.
- If the individual swallowed the remover, follow the instructor’s directions carefully and strictly.
- However, it’s okay to give the victim milk or water in case they swallowed the remover.
- Alert the emergency units incase whereby the victim has other effects such as noticeable swallowing difficulties.
- Finally, find immediate means to take the person to emergency rooms and if possible, carry the remover container to the specialists at the emergency unit.
Need for Professionals in Paint Removal
It’s recommendable that you hire specialists to handle the paint stripping work; Premium Door and Furniture eliminate all your worries in paint removal. We specialise in paint stripping, drying and sanding as well as finishing the area attended with oil.